when will school resume in Nigeria: Have you been asking when schools will resume? This page is for you! We will share all the latest news on school resumption in Nigerian
July 18th Update: COVID-19: FG to review decision on school resumption
THE Federal Government has given school owners in the country up to July 29, 2020, to meet specific guidelines towards the reopening of schools at a date to be announced in due course.
Minister of State for Education, Hon. Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, who stated this, Friday, in Abuja, said the ministry, having consulted widely, has in collaboration with Federal Ministry of Health, Nigerian Centre for Disease Control, (NCDC), the Education in Emergencies Working Group, developed and circulated guidelines for the reopening of schools.
The minister, according to a statement, Friday, by the Director of Information in the Ministry, Bem Goong, “school owners are to prepare and comply with the guidelines.
Najib said schools are to undertake self-assessment and send feedback to state ministries of education, not later than 29 July 2020, “the statement quoted him as saying.
He said consultations with relevant stakeholders will be held to review the situation and decide on a specific date for reopening or otherwise.
The minister further said, having taken the painful but necessary decision not to reopen schools without necessary preparations to ensure the safety of students and teachers, the Federal Ministry of Education has continued consultations with stakeholders, and a mechanism to assess and monitor compliance shall be put in place.
According to him, “Since Tuesday last week, we have consulted widely with stakeholders in the sector, including Commissioners of Education in all the states of the federation, the Association of Private School Owners of Nigeria,(APSON), National Association of Proprietors of Private Schools,(NAPPS), Provosts of Colleges of Education, Rectors of Polytechnics, Vice-Chancellors of universities, some state governors, and development partners.”
Commenting on WAEC, Nwajuiba said, “We met with WAEC on Monday and have agreed to further consult with four other countries on new examination date.”
“We appreciate the concern shown by all stakeholders and note the divergent views expressed on the matter.
“Parents should be rest assured that the safety of our students and teachers is paramount as we work assiduously towards the speedy reopening of our schools for the exit classes to take external examinations,” he added.
This came as it had settled with four countries on a new date for the suspended West African Examinations Council, WAEC
Following what they described as Federal Government’s poor handling of schools reopening, students of tertiary institutions have given the government two weeks within which to fix a date for resumption.
They threatened to protest against continued closure of schools if the government failed to accede to their demands within 14 days.
The groups, comprising the National Association of Polytechnic Students (NAPS), National Association of University Students (NAUS), and National Association of Colleges of Education Students (NANCES), at a virtual meeting, decried Federal Government’s approach towards the resumption of learning institutions in the country.
They also faulted the government’s decision to pull out of the 2020 West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASCCE).
Urging the Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, to reconsider the participation of Nigerian students in the terminal examination, they said WAEC could be taken, while observing social distancing and other safety protocols.
“It is hardly feasible that coronavirus may be eradicated in a fortnight and after months of observing several safety measures, there are little or no gains in the results so far recorded.
‘’Huge funds have been used to contain the spread of the virus, but we still have poorly equipped medical centers across the country,” they added.
They also charged the government to stop salaries of university teachers and other officials for advocating the continued closure of schools without proffering solutions to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Meanwhile, Vice-Chancellor of Chrisland University, Abeokuta, Ogun State, Professor Peace Chinedum Babalola, has advised the Federal Government to adopt a ‘staggered’ reopening of schools.
Babalola spoke at the fifth matriculation ceremony of the institution, which was held online.
The Federal Government had on Monday released guidelines, actions, measures, and requirements for the safe reopening of schools in the country.
But in her reaction, she said the Federal Government could in the meantime reopen schools for final year students at all levels to enable them to finish their academic programs on time.
“To achieve social distancing, one of the guidelines for reopening of schools is the need for government to ‘stagger’ resumption for the students,” she said.
She argued that while nobody knew when the COVID-19 pandemic would end, there was the need for a gradual resumption of socio-economic activities and reopening of schools.
FG insists school resumption not safe yet
But the Federal Government on Wednesday insisted that it was not yet safe to reopen schools that were shut as part of efforts to curtail the spread of COVID-19.
The Minister of State, Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, said this while briefing State House correspondents at the end of the eighth virtual Federal Executive Council meeting presided over by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.).
WAEC consulting, other West African countries to change WASSCE date — Govt
The minister also hinted that WAEC was consulting other West African countries to decide whether to change the date of its examination.
He stated, “WAEC, on its part, is also negotiating with other West African countries to look at possible shift in date and once they are through with that meeting and hopefully when we are also through with the consultations, if there is any change in the ministry’s position, we will communicate.”
But the Secretary-General of the Yoruba Council of Elders, Dr. Kunle Olajide, said the decision of the Federal Government to withdraw Nigerian students from WASCCE was in order.
Olajide said this in an interview with one of our correspondents in Ibadan on Wednesday.
July 13th Update: FG releases Fresh guidelines as it begins plans for schools’ resumption at all Level
We are pleased to inform you that the Federal Government has released guidelines for the resumption of schools’ as they begin plans to resume schools.
The guidelines which were first published by Vanguard were signed by the Ministers of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, and Hon Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba.
Summary of the Guidelines:
- Resumption will be in phases
- Recommends distance learning, satellite centers, online teachings, learning, others
- Also recommends staggered classes, attendance of pupils, students
- To fumigate schools, restructure classes in line with social distancing guideline
- Train teachers on hygiene, other safety measures
Though they said they are getting ready to resume schools’ they again they mention the exact date for the resumption.
You can CLICK HERE to read the detailed guidelines. You can also click the green icon below to tell us how you feel about this news.
The House of Representatives has faulted the Federal Government’s decision to suspend the plan to partially reopen schools for pupils in final classes to take external examinations.
The Committee on Basic Education and Services criticized the decision to disallow Nigerian pupils from sitting for the West African Senior Secondary Certificate Examination to be conducted by the West African Examinations Council for the 2019/2020 academic session.
Schools at all levels have been shut due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 had earlier in June said the Federal Government, in what is called “safe reopening of schools,” had approved the resumption of pupils in graduating classes, including Primary 6, Junior Secondary School 3 and the Senior Secondary School 3.
Later, the Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba, during the press briefing by the PTF announced that the 2020 WASSCE would hold between August 4 and September 5.
But the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, at the end of a meeting of the Federal Executive Council, presided over by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), on Wednesday said all federal schools would remain closed until it was safe to reopen them.
Adamu also urged state governments that had announced schools resumption plans to rescind such.
Reacting to the development, chairman of the committee, Prof Julius Ihonvbere, however, expressed the displeasure of the lawmakers in a statement issued on Friday titled “WASSCE should not be canceled.”
Ihonvbere said, “The House Committee on Basic Education and Services received with amazement, the announcement by the Minister of Education that Nigerian students would not be participating in the forthcoming WASSCE.
“He did not inform the country if this was in agreement with other West African leaders or consultation with the examination bodies, the state governments, and other stakeholders in the education sector.
“This sudden policy reversal is not good for the country. It is bound to create further confusion in the education sector, create disappointment and suspicion among parents, frustrate the students and show to our development partners and Nigerians that the distortions and disarticulations in the sector are only getting worse.
“The reversal also shows that our policymakers may just be adopting a laid-back approach to the need to confront the novel coronavirus rather than taking proactive and creative steps to manage and contain it.”
Ihonvbere stated that the committee disagreed with Adamu and “believes that reconsideration is urgently needed to save our educational system.”
Also, former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar on Friday called on the Federal Government to reconsider its decision that pupils cannot resume school or participate in the West African Senior School Certificate Examination due to the coronavirus pandemic.
However, Atiku, in a statement on Friday, indicated his disapproval “as a parent and investor in the education sector”, saying the policy of “unilaterally canceling the WASSCE, which 1.5 million Nigerian youths take annually, is not in Nigeria’s best interest.”
The former Vice-President advised the Federal Government to adopt other strategies that enabled graduating pupils in senior secondary school to take the exam while warning that Nigerians could resort to crossing borders to sit the exam in neighboring countries.
He said, “Rather than the cancellation, there are better ways to protect the health of Nigerians and prevent the pandemic from escalating. We could mobilize all available public and private infrastructures, including primary schools, stadia, and cinemas, for the examinations.”
MINISTER of Education, Adamu Adamu, has said that Nigerian Federal unity schools will not reopen any time soon until it is safe to do so because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
He said he would prefer that Nigerian students lose an academic year than to expose them to dangers.
He appealed to States that have announced the resumption of school in their states to reconsider their position so as not to jeopardize the lives of the students, adding, “It is not safe to reopen schools now.”
- Just For Money; Man Video Himself Having S3x With A Tortoise For Money Ritual
- SHS Graduate Couple Chopping Love After Passing Wassce With Good Grades (Video)
- South African Teacher Caught Chopping Teen Student In Viral Video
- Viral Whatsapp Video Of Lady Sleeping And The Shocking Discovery Made By Her Male ‘Friend’
- HOOK UP: I Want A Man That Can Have #Intercourse With Me three Or 10 Instances, See My Contact
- Men Don’t Be Deceived, See What Some Ladies Wear Under Their Clothes
- “Trust No One”-I Noticed my Daughter Take Longer Time in Bathroom, See what I Caught Her Doing
- “One Left [email protected]”- See How a Married Woman Beat Up A Girl For Dating Her Husband Secretly (Video)
- Married Nigerian Man Collapse and nearly Died during Marathon Sex with a Calabar woman inside his hotel room (video)